I am a director of user experience design with a focus on creating, implementing and evaluating user experiences for current and emerging mobile products, services and systems. I have fifteen years of international experience in academic and commercial interaction, graphic and user experience design. Since 2010, I have been investigating the relationship between digital and physical spaces (mixed-reality). By investigating user-centered problems, I have designed geo-located experiences, via augmented reality, geo-marketing and location-aware mobile user interfaces. The outcomes of my work resulted in published papers, patents, grant awards, job-creation and the establishment of successful tech-startup companies.
I am currently innovating at Fujifilm by leading the strategic user interface re-design for all Walmart Photo Lab Kiosks in North America; all the while, conducting user and new business research for emerging photo-centered systems, services and devices. As Lead Experience Architect at EffectiveUI, I mainly consulted for Verizon Wireless and Honeywell. As Senior Interaction Designer at Eastman Kodak, I commercialized digital cameras and photo frames which resulted in awarded patents, and winning the Innovations 2011 Design and Engineering Award in Eco-Design and Sustainable Technology from the International Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). As Interaction Design Associate at Edinburgh Napier University, I designed photo-centered conversational interfaces to the internet with artificial intelligence and natural language processing.
As an academic researcher and lecturer, I was appointed to Visiting Assistant Professor at Rochester Institute of Technology. After fourteen months of service, I won a grant award from the New York Council on the Arts (Mobile Experiences for Tourism). As principle investigator and UX Director, I founded the Blended Interactions Studio. I created eighteen jobs for human factors, media production, interaction design and software development students. At the University of Siena, Italy, I taught (in Italian) for four years as a contracted lecturer, teaching multimedia arts and design to Italian and Erasmus Student Network undergraduate students.
I earned my Ph.D. in Telematics and the Information Society (Communication Sciences) from the Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy, and my Bachelor of Fine Arts in graphic and interaction design from the Tyler School of Art at Temple University.
User Experience Design
- Management: expert leadership skills to direct development, interaction design and human factors teams.
- Product design: expertise in designing strategies for high-level systems, services and devices.
- Prototyping: expertise creating low-to-high fidelity prototypes via iterative user-centered design processes.
- Patenting: experience documenting patents and patent art from research innovations.
Graphic & Interaction Design
- User Interface: sketching, information architecture, workflows, wireframes, comps, etc.
- Interface modalities: mobile, natural, ubiquitous, wearable, table, five-way, touch and speech UI.
- Graphic Design: branding, posters, books, brochures, logos, presentations, user interfaces
- Information Visualization: slide presentations, storyboard, data, use-case scenarios, personas, etc.
Human Factors & Evaluation
- Data collection methods: expertise in conducting focus groups, workshops, interviews, surveys, etc.
- Design iteration: expertise in implementing test results from qualitative and quantitative metrics.
- Usability testing: expertise in conducting usability evaluations, before, during and after product study.
- User Requirements: expertise in contextual-inquiry techniques to translate user requirements to design teams.
MARKETING & SALES
- Marketing: expert in strategically creating content for digital (web) and analogue (brochures) tourism products.
- Geo-Marketing: expert in strategically delivering digital multimedia content to physical traveller locations.
- Communication: expert in delivering visual communication marketing tools for key stakeholders.
- Presentation: expert presentations slide deck production and delivery for sales bids and conferences.
- Sales Bids and Grants: expert in developing sales pitches, SOWs and writing (awarded winning) grant proposals.
SOFTWARE & PROGRAMS
- Web design tools: WordPress, Netbeans, HTML5, CSS3 and Java Scripting.
- Graphic & interactive design tools: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Apple Keynote, Pages, iMovie.
- Project management tools: Basecamp, RedMine and Google Drive.
- Bilingual: Italian (fluent), Japanese (basic).
- Culture: Excellent knowledge of Western European and East Asian colloquial and cultural expectations.