Brian O’Keefe Ph.D. is a user experience architect with a focus on interaction and user interface design. He solves real-world user-centered problems for an array of stakeholders. Brian is a specialist in interaction design research with a focus on implementing and evaluating user experiences within mixed reality environments.
With 15 years’ experience, Brian has expertise in user experience (UX) design, including product design, prototyping and patenting; interaction design including interface modalities, presentation visualization and graphic design; and human factors and usability testing, including, ethnography, data collection methods and user requirements gathering. He is fluent in Italian and at can navigate basic Japanese.
His work at EffectiveUI included projects for Verizon Wireless and Honeywell. Prior, Brian was a Senior Interaction Designer at Eastman Kodak patenting and designing photo sharing interfaces for commercial devices. He has been awarded numerous patents, and contributed to winning the Innovations 2011 Design and Engineering Award in Eco-Design and Sustainable Technology from the International Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). As an Interaction Design Associate at Edinburgh Napier University he designed photo-centered conversational interfaces to the internet with artificial intelligence and natural language processing.
A recognized academic and industry thought-leader, Brian was a Visiting Assistant Professor at Rochester Institute of Technology. Through a grant award from the New York Council on the Arts, he founded the Blended Interactions Studio. As UX Director, he created eighteen student human factors, interaction design and development jobs that researched and developed Mobile Experiences for Tourism. He has been a featured speaker at numerous HCI Conferences since 2008, has written journal and conference papers on the advancement of interaction design.
Brian earned his Ph.D. in Telematics and the Information Society (Human Computer Interaction) from the Università degli Studi di Firenze, Italy, and his Bachelor of Fine Arts in graphic and interaction design from the Tyler School of Art at Temple University.
User Experience Design
- Management: expert leadership skills to direct development, interaction design and human factors teams.
- Product design: expertise in designing strategies for high-level systems, services and devices.
- Prototyping: expertise creating low-to-high fidelity prototypes via iterative user-centered design processes.
- Patenting: experience documenting patents and patent art from research innovations.
Graphic & Interaction Design
- User Interface: sketching, information architecture, workflows, wireframes, comps, etc.
- Interface modalities: mobile, natural, ubiquitous, wearable, table, five-way, touch and speech UI.
- Graphic Design: branding, posters, books, brochures, logos, presentations, user interfaces
- Information Visualization: slide presentations, storyboard, data, use-case scenarios, personas, etc.
Human Factors & Evaluation
- Data collection methods: expertise in conducting focus groups, workshops, interviews, surveys, etc.
- Design iteration: expertise in implementing test results from qualitative and quantitative metrics.
- Usability testing: expertise in conducting usability evaluations, before, during and after product study.
- User Requirements: expertise in contextual-inquiry techniques to translate user requirements to design teams.
MARKETING & SALES
- Marketing: expert in strategically creating content for digital (web) and analogue (brochures) tourism products.
- Geo-Marketing: expert in strategically delivering digital multimedia content to physical traveller locations.
- Communication: expert in delivering visual communication marketing tools for key stakeholders.
- Presentation: expert presentations slide deck production and delivery for sales bids and conferences.
- Sales Bids and Grants: expert in developing sales pitches, SOWs and writing (awarded winning) grant proposals.
SOFTWARE & PROGRAMS
- Web design tools: WordPress, Netbeans, HTML5, CSS3 and Java Scripting.
- Graphic & interactive design tools: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Apple Keynote, Pages, iMovie.
- Project management tools: Basecamp, RedMine and Google Drive.
- Bilingual: English (first), Italian (fluent), Japanese (Izakaya level).
- Culture: Excellent knowledge of Western European and East Asian colloquial and cultural expectations.